Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fabric Shopping in Fitzroy...

On Thursday I went on a little adventure to The Fabric Store, in Fitzroy, Melbourne. It is a HUGE shop which is full of fabric, and slightly overwhelming. This is no amature-hour Spotlight, (where I normally shop), the people who shop at The Fabric Store are full on Sewers- with the capital 'S'. On Thursday they had an almost store wide 30% off sale, so my mother and I made the Journey to Fitzroy and annihilated our bank accounts. It was wonderful.
The fabric at The Fabric Store is high quality- Marc Jacobs, Vivienne Westwood, Tigerlily, etc. Needless to say, it is also expensive, so I would recommend getting on their mailing list to take advantage of the sales like we did on Thursday. The inside looks a bit like a small warehouse, with probably 4 big wooden tables covered in fabric. There are also shelves on 2 1/2 of the sides, which house even more fabric, and there is a long cutting table on the remaining 1/2 side with a few very helpful saleswomen. The fabric itself is in a myriad of colours, textures, and types. I was literally dumbstruck when I walked in, I had no idea where to go or what to look at first. This was combined with my extremely limited knowledge of fabric types and names, and it left a mildly depressed Helen waiting at the doors.
So, in order to help you guys, I have found two links which have descriptions of many types of fabric. The first is more detailed, containing the characteristics and uses of each fabric as well, and the second is simply a wordlist, but it could help with fabric types that aren't listed on the first page, if you find them mentioned in a pattern.
For now I have to go get ready to go the movies, but tomorrow I will post some photos of the fabric I bought on Thursday and what I intend to do with it! Thanks for reading!
helenxx

2 comments:

  1. I didn't see the Vivienne Westwood fabric! (but I did buy some Marc Jacobs...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sure there was Vivienne Westwood? I may have been mistaken or remembered a different name to what it actually was...

    ReplyDelete