Sunday, March 20, 2011

sewing sewing sewing

At christmas last year my nanna got me a sewing machine, my first ever. It's a very simple 'brother' one. I've used my mum's rather-more-complicated machine before, but only for very small projects, (despite longing to make all the patterns I've scrolled through on BurdaStyle). So this year, while I am taking a break from study, I have given myself the challenge of not buying any clothes for the year...
EXCEPTIONS:
*Jeans- my mum claims they are far too hard for her to make, and as I am nowhere near talented/knowledgeable to make half of the things that she makes, I am not trying. Yet. Also, I am far to fussy about the way my jeans fit.
*Bras and Underwear- I refuse to buy them from an opp-shop, too icky, and I loooooooove new ones. However, I am also going to make my own. I've seen a few blogs that show them made out of old t-shirts and stuff, and they look fun :)
*Anything from an opp shop IF, and only if, I plan to adjust/remake it.
So, this is what I have made so far-

Scarf Hoodie- I don't really like the green but it was a first draft and the first pattern I'd made myself. And then I promptly drew the pattern with the hood facing the wrong way- hence the flaps hanging down in front.

I do love the little elf hood though...

This is actually the first of the ventures with the new sewing machine. I wanted to make a 'sexy-hippie' top, hence the bra-exposing crochet (a doiley). But it came out uneven, and I can't work out how to hem the arm holes. I'm still not sure this one is a success, and until I work off my muffin top I'm not sure what i can actually wear with it. I'll keep you updated...

Because I liked the first hood so much, with it's pixie tail, I decided to make another one for my boy. Instead of attatching it to a scarf I tied it round the back, bandana style.

He wasn't so impressed with it....thought he looked like a cleaning lady :(
Well, that's all for now. Wish me luck with the next tank top I'm making.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment