Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fabric Shopping cont.

So, these are the fabrics that I bought yesterday;
I actually bought this fabric on my first visit to The Fabric Store, which was last year. I got a bit scared of sewing so I haven't used any of the fabrics I bought on that trip yet. It is a rich colour, and it feels rich as well, a beautiful soft velvet. I am planning to make a skirt out of it, but I'm not sure what the skirt will look like yet.
This is another piece of fabric I bought on the first trip. It is a luscious blue cord fabric. I am planning on using it for a pair of shorts.

Again, an earlier purchase. This fabric is for another skirt. It is a simple cotton, but I love the striking design. The only skirt pattern I am familiar with at the moment wont be able to take advantage of this design, so I am waiting to work out a way that I can before I use it, possibly in an asymmetric skirt design to accentuate the diagonal lines.
This silk is my favourite! I am going to make a high waisted maxi skirt from it. Hopefully I will start sewing it up tomorrow, when I have the proper needle size, so I will post soon on this one!

This is a medium weight woolen fabric that I was immediately drawn to because of the bright blue colour in the pattern. I love blue, it has almost always been my favourite colour, and I find rich, bright blues like this one draw me the most. I think it is because they remind me of the deep of the ocean, of magic and mystery. From this fabric I am planning to make a Cynthia Rowley skirt, high waisted with a tailored look.
This is a Marc Jacobs knit. It has sparkley threads woven through it, although that is hard to tell from this fabric. The threads make it shimmer rainbows of colours, while the black backdrop for this show grounds the fabric. I bought this on my latest trip to The Fabric Store, when the sale was on, however this wasn't on sale. From memory it was a bout AU$40 a meter. I think it is definitely worth it- the knit is fragile but stunning, and perfect to make a simple loose dress to wear over leggings and a top in winter, to the movies, etc. My mum also bought some; it seemed to be a popular fabric.
I bought this fabric with leggings in mind, hopefully I can cut the pattern so that the stripes are vertical, but it wont really bother me either way. I like the idea of having semi-transparent leggings, subtly sexy. But, of course, I would have to wear something over the top of them, unless I decide to do leggings with two layers, which is a possibility.
The final fabric I bought at The Fabric Store was this blue merino knit. Merino wool is very warm- I already own two store-bought tops made out of it- so I am definitely excited about making a long sleeved top out of this for winter. I am constantly cold, and always wearing dark colours, so this should be a good change.



Today I have planned to start two projects; a skirt for my younger sister's birthday, and a maxi-skirt for myself from the purple silk pictured above. While I was trying to work out how to finish the silk skirt, I realised I might need a different needle, and my research led me to two websites, the Singer brand website, and this from the 'threads' magazine website. Be sure to check out The Fabric Store website as well, the one day sale may be over but there is plenty more to see! Also check out the warehouse next door, upstairs they have some fantastic and cheap fabrics, from the likes of Alannah Hill, which I will bog about soon!
helenxx

1 comment:

  1. ah fabric, beautiful fabric! I wore my blue velvet skirt to dinner on Saturday night. I've just now laid out the tracing paper and the Ottobre patterns I bought, in order to trace off some of the patterns and check the sizing etc. Inspired by all the wonderful (and over-priced) things I'm seeing in shop windows at Mornington. (Did, however, buy a v. reasonably priced knit cardigan. Oh, and a gorgeous cushion. But other than that, it's diy!)

    ReplyDelete