Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Princess Polly and Motel Rocks rock my inspiration...

Hey guys, just checking in to show you my favourite new arrivals at Princess Polly and Motel Rocks...
Even though I don't like high necklines myself, because I think they can give an unflattering silhouette of women's breasts, I can see how this would work on a lot of girls. I wouldn't suggest wearing something like this if you had big breasts however, as the detail in the neckline would focus attention on this area. To me, this would be better as detail on the back of a neckline.

Loose shorts are in vogue at the moment, aren't they? Here is another pair I saw a while ago on Burdastyle. I think these look really cute from the front, but I can't say that I understand the attraction of this type of short from the back. If the ones I have seen around shopping centers are anything to go by, they tend to bunch up in little v's around your bum, making you look like you have a size XXXXXXXS bathing suit on underneath. I would love to be disproved though, as they do look very cute from the front, so if you can find any pictures which look flattering from all sides, (and not just on a wafer thin model), comment me!

Chiffon is another 'in' thing. I think this is chiffon... Well, anyway, I have a pattern that I think would work great as a maxi skirt in a sheer fabric like chiffon, so hopefully I'll get a chance to try that soon. I also love this ocean blue, it is so deep and romantic and whimsical. Like the dark older sister of Alice in Wonderland.

Does anyone else find capes incredibly hard to wear? They look so good on the skinny models plastered all over magazines, but on everybody else, it involves a whole lot of research. For example, will cropped capes make you look pregnant? Will longer ones make you look 4" tall? And what can you actually wear underneath them- because a cape does tend to steal the show.

I would love to be able to say that I had made this dress! However, I am planning to be inspired by the Lattice Dress I blogged about recently, and attempt something interesting and hard. I figure that this would be made of three separate pieces, the skirt, the twisted bra-ish top, and the neckline. Surely that wouldn't be too hard....

This on the other hand wouldn't be that hard, and could easily be made by opp shop finds. All you would need would be a T-shirt to turn into the stretch skirt, and an old tank top or a sheer skirt you could turn into the top. Some of the other Motel designs also feature lattice or crisscross backs, made by cutting strips of the fabric, finishing them, and then sewing them back onto the back in the desired crisscrossing pattern. Definitely worth trying, comment me if you already have.

This is another gorgeous feature neckline. I have no idea how you would make this one though! Another dress that wouldn't suit women with bigger breasts however, unless you wanted your cleavage to bulge through the sheer fabric. Which I have seen. It really isn't worth trying. Also, try to remember that anything with lines like this will probably create dents through any fat or tissue that presses against it. So if you do have big breasts, it will create something akin to a Visible Panty Line, through the vertical middle of your breast. Not very desirable.

I actually have a vintage dress similar in shape to this, except with a collar and buttons, that is waiting to be hemmed shorter. Dresses like this are great for women with small waists, especially with a belt to cinch you in even more. And that is, I am told the hourglass silhouette which men like best. On a side note, my dad has always maintained women dress better for other women, rather than to attract men. What do you think?


Princess Polly and Motel Rocks are great shopping websites which show a lot of unique and beautiful designs. ModCloth is also one to look at if you want something a little different, for inspiration, or if you have a lot of money to spend. However, I do find that ModCloth's lack of styling can make their clothing look a bit nanna-ish. I'm sure it would all look a whole lot better on. Personally, my favourite part of ModCloth is their shoe collection, they also have a good plus size range however. While you're there, check out the un-clothing parts of their site, like this book that is right on the top of my wishlist.

Well that is it for me tonight guys, I have to go and hem a skirt for my little sister. Hopefully I'll get back to posting actual projects soon!
helen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment